Business Registrations

Lady using ipad for online assistance

Before you get your business up and running, you will need to think about what type of registrations you might need. Below is some useful information regarding some of the more common business registrations and what you need to do.

Australian company number

If you plan to run your business through a company, you will need an Australian Company Number (ACN). An ACN is required before you can apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN) and tax registrations. You should seek professional advice about applying for an ACN with ASIC, or follow this step-by-step guide.


Director identification number ID

If you want to become a director of a company you will need to apply for a director identification number ID. You must apply for your own director ID to verify your identity with the Registrar of the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS).

For more information about how and when to register for a director identification number, visit the Australian Business Registry Services website.


Australian business number (ABN) registration

All Australian businesses require an ABN. An ABN is a unique 11 digit number that identifies your business or organisation to the government and community.

Apply for an ABN here

Tax registration

As a business, you will need to register for Goods and Services Tax (GST):

  • when your business/enterprise has a GST turnover of $75,000 or more (gross income from all businesses minus GST). See how to work out your GST turnover .
  • when you start a new business and expect your turnover to reach the GST threshold (or more) in the first year of operation.
  • if you're already in business and have reached the GST threshold.
  • if your non-profit organisation has a GST turnover of $150,000 per year or more.
  • when you provide taxi or limousine travel for passengers (including ride-sourcing) regardless of your GST turnover (this applies to both owner drivers and if you lease or rent a taxi).
  • if you want to claim fuel tax credits for your business/enterprise.

You may also need to apply for one or more of the following tax registrations:


Trademark registration / patents / intellectual property

Protecting your idea, invention or brand is important for all businesses. The following link highlights practical information to better understand what Intellectual Property protections may apply to you and what you can do to protect your Intellectual Property .