Emergency management

Emergency events can occur at any time with little warning and cause diverse and widespread impacts across affected communities. The City of Unley works to minimise these threats and contribute to the safety and wellbeing of our community by participating in local emergency management alongside our neighbouring councils.

If you have a life-threatening or urgent situation dial Triple Zero (000) and ask for ambulance, fire or police depending on the type of emergency.

The below information will help you;

  • Understand the Council's role in emergency management
  • Know who to contact in specific emergencies
  • Prepare for emergencies at an individual level  
  • Find help and support in the recovery phase of an emergency. 

The role of Council

Councils play a fundamental role in emergency management due to strong relationships with the local community and knowledge of locally available resources.

Read more about the role of Council

In partnership with state government, councils contribute to the safety and wellbeing of communities by participating in local emergency management with principal roles and responsibilities including: 

  • Mitigate the effects of emergencies on local communities
  • Fire prevention
  • Land use planning
  • Stormwater management
  • Public health and disease control
  • Community resilience and capacity building
  • Represent community interests in emergency management to other spheres of government
  • Ensure adequate local emergency response capability
  • Undertake public education and awareness around preparedness measures
  • Participate in recovery operations.


All State emergencies are governed under the Emergency Management Act 2004 which provides the authority for the State Emergency Plan.

State Emergency Management Plan

The State Government has developed a State Emergency Management Plan. This details the responsibilities and strategies of State Government to manage significant state emergencies.

Emergency Management Zones

For the purpose of emergency management, South Australia is divided into 11 Emergency Management Zones. The City of Unley is part of the Eastern Adelaide Zone together with our neighbouring councils:

  • Adelaide City Council
  • City of Burnside
  • Campbelltown City Council
  • City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters
  • City of Prospect
  • Town of Walkerville.


Key Hazards and Risks relevant to the Eastern Adelaide Zone have been assessed and summarised in the Eastern Adelaide Zone Emergency Management Plan.




Types of emergencies


For emergency assistance during a flood event phone the State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500.

To prepare for a flood, visit the SA SES website for information.

For warnings and alerts, visit the Alert SA website.


Extreme storm

For emergency assistance during a storm event phone the State Emergency Service on 132 500.

To prepare for an extreme storm, visit the SA SES website.

For warnings and alerts, visit the Alert SA website.



For emergency assistance during a bushfire dial Triple Zero (000).

To find out more information about:


Human disease

For information about infectious diseases, disease prevention and flu pandemics, visit the SA Government website.


Report suspicious activity to the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400 or SA Police on 131 444.

To find out what to do before, during and after a terrorist incident visit the SA Government website.

Other emergencies


Emergency contacts

Police, Fire & Ambulance

Stay focused, stay relevant, stay on the line.

  • Is someone seriously injured or in need of urgent medical help?
  • Is your life or property being threatened?
  • Have you just witnessed a serious accident or crime?

If you answered YES call Triple Zero (000). Triple Zero calls are free.

  • Do you want Police, Fire or Ambulance?
  • Stay calm, don't shout, speak slowly and clearly.
  • Tell them exactly where to go.
  • Give an address or location.

Police Attendance

For non-urgent Police assistance, phone 131 444.

To report a crime, visit the Crimestoppers website or phone 1800 333 000.

Text Emergency Call

If you are deaf or have a speech or hearing impairment call 106.
This is a Text Emergency Call, not SMS. You can call from teletypewriters.

State Emergency Service

For storm and flood assistance phone 132 500.

Or visit the SES website.

If the matter is life threatening, phone Triple Zero (000).

Metropolitan Fire

The South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) is the primary provider of structural firefighting services to the State of South Australia.

If the matter is life threatening, phone Triple Zero (000).


Country Fire Service

The South Australian Country Fire Service (CFS) serves communities through dedicated volunteers delivering professional fire and rescue services to outer metropolitan, regional & rural South Australia.

If the matter is life threatening, phone Triple Zero (000).

Alert SA

Access key public safety and emergency information sources from a wide range of emergency and essential service agencies, government and community partners on the Alert SA website.


Get prepared

Being prepared for an emergency, including being ready to go, can help you save precious time, especially if you have to leave your home in a hurry.  For information on how to prepare for all types of emergencies, visit the State Government website.

Recovery after an emergency

For general information about disaster recovery, including what services may be offered and how they are provided, visit the South Australian Government Disaster Recovery website.


'We Do' is an initiative of Volunteering SA&NT and the Government of South Australia. Create a profile to be notified of opportunities matched to skills and interests. Search hundreds of volunteer positions in South Australia, express interest and apply directly with organisations. Log and print a record of your volunteer hours.

Useful resources relating to emergencies